At Hobbiton Movie Set, we work hard to provide our visitors with an enjoyable, world-class Middle-earth experience and in return, we expect visitors to follow our policies and respect our facilities and our team. All visitors to Hobbiton Movie Set are required to meet the following conditions of entry.
Conditions of Entry
- All visitors must join a guided tour to access Hobbiton Movie Set as it is located on private property and is operated as a working farm.
- Whilst on Hobbiton Movie Set premises, including The Shire's Rest, all visitors must comply with relevant Health and Safety directions, policies and announcements from staff.
- All visitors must have a ticket allocated in order to join a tour experience, including children and infants even where their admission is free of charge.
- All visitors under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult ticket holder.
- Where visitors miss their pre-booked tour time, Hobbiton Movie Set will advise visitors of the next available tour time. However, this is not guaranteed, and amendments may be made for an alternate date. For more information, please refer to the check-in process below.
- New Zealand Gold Cards must be presented upon check-in to honour this fare type and are only available for direct bookings made with Hobbiton Movie Set. International Seniors Cards are not accepted.
- Family Pass tickets are only available for our 2 hour Hobbiton Movie Set tour from The Shire's Rest and Matamata i-SITE and are only available for direct bookings made with Hobbiton Movie Set. A Family Pass includes 2x Adults and 2x Youth only, additional tickets can be purchased to suit individual groups.
- Visitors must be able to present valid ID when requested, as indicated by the New Zealand Sale and Supply of Alcohol Regulations Act 2013. For more information on our alcohol policy, including types of ID we accept, please see below.
- Visitors must remain with the tour guide for the duration of the tour, and must follow directions as set out by the tour guide at the commencement of the tour.
- Photos and video recordings taken at Hobbiton Movie Set are for personal use only and are not to be sold, distributed or used for commercial gain due to our contracts with the film companies. For more information, including what equipment is allowed on the Movie Set, please see below.
- Personal items must be carried by visitors for the duration of the tour and Hobbiton Movie Set is not liable for any damages or losses incurred to personal items.
- Large or bulky luggage or items that may cause risk or discomfort to other visitors may not be permitted on our Hobbiton Movie Set vehicles or on the Movie Set tour. If needed, luggage can be stored in a locked storage area at The Shire’s Rest.
- No pets are permitted on the Movie Set with the exception of registered assistance animals.
- All visitors must remain seated on Hobbiton Movie Set vehicles at all times, including infants and small children. Infant capsules are permitted, however these must be carried for the duration of the tour experience.
- All visitors must agree to remain respectful of others, and any adverse behaviour directed at visitors or staff will not be tolerated.
- Unreasonable and excessive noise (such as music) or any behaviour likely to cause disruption to the tour experience for others is not permitted.
- Climbing or standing on any restricted structure while on the Movie Set is strictly prohibited.
- Deliberate damage, defacing or removal of any property on the Movie Set is strictly prohibited.
- Smoking and vaping is not permitted during the tour experience, but is permitted in designated smoking areas at The Green Dragon Inn.
- The scattering of ashes at Hobbiton Movie Set is not permitted by the property owner.
- In the event of severe weather conditions we reserve the right to make alternative tour arrangements or adapt the tour experience in line with our Health and Safety procedures.
Hobbiton Movie Set reserves the right to terminate the tour experience or remove visitors from our venues if visitors are found to have breached these Conditions of Entry. Any visitor removed from the tour or any of our venues will not be entitled to a refund. Please note, these Conditions of Entry are subject to change without notice.
- Please check-in and collect your tickets from the Ticketing Office at least 20 minutes prior to your pre-booked tour time unless otherwise specified on your booking confirmation.
- Check-in for all tours closes 5 minutes prior to your pre-booked tour departure time.
- If you do not check-in 5 minutes before your pre-booked tour departure time, your booking may be moved to the next available tour. Please note this is not guaranteed and the next available tour may be on an alternate date.
- Running late? Please ensure you contact our team as soon as possible. The more notice the better so we can offer the best option for your group.
- If you miss your pre-booked tour time you are not guaranteed entry at another tour time. Hobbiton Movie Set will advise visitors who have missed their pre-booked tour time of the next available tour, but this may be on an alternate date.
- No shows: If you do not advise our team that you will be late and fail to check in for your pre-booked tour time, your booking will be cancelled with no refund given.
- If you need to make changes to your booking, please contact our team.
- Amendments can be made up to 2 hours before your pre-booked tour time.
- Our tours can book out well in advance. If you need to make changes to your booking, we recommend doing so as soon as possible.
- Please note, amendments to your booking are subject to availability. If your preferred tour time or date is not available and you would like to cancel your booking, our below cancellation policy applies.
Hobbiton Movie Set Tour from The Shire's Rest or Matamata i-SITE:
|Cancellation more than 24 hours before tour departure||100% refund|
|Cancellation made less than 24 hours before tour departure||No refund|
Evening Banquet Tours, Second Breakfast Tours, Tour + Lunch Combo, Private Tours, Photoshoot Tours and Inbound Tours:
|Cancellation more than 72 hours before tour departure||100% refund|
|Cancellation made less than 72 hours before tour departure||No refund|
Special Events (International Hobbit Day, Hobbiton Beer Festival, Hobbiton Christmas etc):
|Cancellation more than 7 days before departure||100% refund|
|Cancellation made less than 7 days before tour departure||No refund|
- Photos and video recordings taken at Hobbiton Movie Set are for personal use only and are not to be sold, distributed or used for commercial gain due to our contracts with the film companies.
- Drone use is not permitted on the Movie Set, at The Shire's Rest or surrounding farmland unless express permission is obtained from the landowners.
- Visitors are welcome to use small, handheld tripods or stabilisers/gimbals during the tour experience however large camera tripods are not permitted.
Service of Alcohol
- Hobbiton Movie Set requires all customers to produce a form of valid ID in order to be served alcohol from our venues as directed by the New Zealand Sale and Supply of Alcohol Regulations Act 2013.
- The following forms of ID are accepted:
- Current Passport
- New Zealand Drivers License
- Kiwi Access Card
- The following form of ID cannot be accepted:
- Overseas Drivers Licence
- International Drivers License
- Student Card
- Youth Travel Card
- Photocopy of your Passport, 18+ Card or NZ Drivers License
- Any Passport, 18+ Card or NZ Drivers License that is expired
- Alcohol that has not been purchased at or served by Hobbiton Movie Set is strictly prohibited on site.
- Hobbiton Movie Set has a strict Host Responsibility policy and intoxicated persons will be refused service and asked to leave the Movie Set tour or venue.
- Intoxicated visitors will not be permitted on any Movie Set tour experiences or events at Hobbiton Movie Set. If visitors are suspected to be intoxicated prior to their experience and are denied entry, no refund will be provided.
Clothing and Costumes
- Please ensure you dress appropriately for the weather with suitable footwear.
- Footwear is required in our venues according to Health and Safety policies.
- We reserve the right to ask you to cover clothing that we deem to be inappropriate and to refuse entry to guests wearing items of clothing or costumes that may be considered offensive or have a negative impact on other Hobbiton Movie Set guest’s experiences.
- Prop replicas or costume items that are deemed to pose a risk to the Health and Safety of our visitors or staff are not permitted on our tour experiences or special events. This includes but is not limited to large swords, knives, staffs, and bows unless constructed of soft materials.
Antisocial and adverse behaviour will not be tolerated and may result in the termination of the tour experience and removal from our venues. This includes but is not limited to:
- Verbal/physical abuse directed toward any visitor or staff member
- Obscene, racist or threatening language
- Littering and defacing of any property
- Failure to comply with Health and Safety directions issued by staff
- Any behaviour that Hobbiton Movie Set deems likely to disrupt the enjoyment of the experience for others